1/31/2010

What is metaphysics?

In the very first lecture of my Metaphysics class this semester, I told my students that I have no answer to the question "What is metaphysics?", that I won't give them any definition of "metaphysics" for the simple reason that I don't have one. They seemed surprised. To assure them that I am indeed qualified to teach metaphysics, I told them that I could tell them a lot of things about metaphysics, it's just that I don't think there is a definition of "metaphysics" that would cover all and only views or theories that are considered metaphysics.

My approach in this class is to introduce and discuss some standard metaphysical issues, such as personal identity, free will and determinism, and possibility and necessity, before we talk about what metaphysics is. My hope is that towards the end of the semester they will have a good sense of what metaphysics is without being given a definition of it.

4 comments:

  1. The area of the meta physics has the strong concepts for the people who want to achieve the goal in the better sense. You can explore more details here in this field and can identify your goals in the better way. Just discuss on the possible matters here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The actual part of the meta physics has got the powerful here ideas for that individuals who wish to accomplish the actual objective within the much better feeling. You are able to discover additional information within this particular area and may determine your own objectives within the much better method.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A section of the meta physics offers the formidable basics for any people today who would like to realize a intention while in the improved sensation. You may take a look at read more information with the following arena that will establish a person's desired goals while in the improved manner. Just simply explore to the attainable makes a difference listed here.

    ReplyDelete