12/04/2009

Why hummings? Why fly-bottle?

The name of this blog comes from Wittgenstein's famous remark, "What is your aim in philosophy? --- To shew the fly the way out of the fly-bottle." (PI §309). I am not going to, however, limit what I write to philosophy. Indeed, I probably won't talk much philosophy here. This blog does not have a theme; it is simply a record of some of my thoughts that I would like to share with others. Naturally I will be writing on things that interest me, which include philosophy, psychology, literature, science, religion, politics, music, and movies.

The word "hummings" is meant to imply that I may not express myself clearly, at least not all the time. As for "the fly-bottle", I mean even when I express myself clearly, I am still limited by my ignorance, biases, and the numerous assumptions I make. This is fine, I suppose, insofar as my views are not set in stone.

I will try to post at least once a week. Comments are welcome, though I probably won't be able to respond to most of them.

1 comment:

  1. Are you still humming in the fly bottle?

    ReplyDelete